DSPS Grievance Process
Informal & Formal Resolution Complaint

海角社区DSPS Grievance Process for Informal & Formal Resolution Complaint

Students registered with the Disabled Student Programs and Services (DSP&S) Office for a qualifying disability who are dissatisfied with an assigned reasonable accommodation or who are dissatisfied with the implementation of an approved accommodation can make a complaint or appeal the decision of a previous complaint resolution by following the outlined procedures.

Informal Resolution Process

  1. Initiate a Complaint by 
    • Filing a Resolution Complaint Process Form to the DSP&S office either at the Liberal Arts College (LAC) or Pacific Coast Campus (PCC).
    • Or, online via this .
    • Or, meeting with a DSP&S staff member to provide all relevant information regarding the complaint. All submissions must identify the facts that provide the basis for filing a complaint.
  2. Within 3 business days of the date of receipt of the Resolution Complaint Process Form or email, a DSP&S staff will contact the student and/or faculty member to gather any relevant information.
  3. Within 15 business days of the date of receipt, the Counselor and/or the Disability Support Services Specialist or Adaptive Technology Specialist will contact the student member to discuss concerns and offer a resolution to the complaint. 
  4. Students involved in the complaint process will be notified in writing of the agreed upon decision reached through the informal resolution process within 15 days of the date of receipt of the complaint.
  5. If the Student who filed an Informal Resolution Complaint is not satisfied with the outcome of the discussion and resolution as outlined in Step 3, the Student may request for the Director of DSP&S to review the complaint and determine whether changes in the accommodations plan are warranted.  
Informal Resolution Complaint Process forms can be found at the front desk of the DSPS Offices at both LAC and PCC. 

Formal Resolution Complaint

  1. If no informal resolution is agreed upon, the student may pursue a formal complaint by submitting a written request for a review of the requested academic adjustment and/or auxiliary aid to the DSPS Director or the ADA/Section 504 Compliance Officer.  
  2. Formal requests must be submitted in writing to the ADA/Section 504 Compliance Office within 5 business days following notification of the decision reached through the informal resolution process.
  3. Parties involved will be notified in writing of the agreed upon decision reached through the formal resolution process within 10 business days.

Appeal Process-Equal Access Hearing Committee

  1. If the student is dissatisfied with the decision rendered through the formal resolution process they can request an Equal Access Hearing. The Equal Access hearing will be convened by the ADA/504 Compliance Officer. 

Office for Civil Rights

  1. This procedure does not prevent the student from directing a formal complaint to the U.S.  Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, at any time.